Space observation radar under construction

In 1968, the space observation radar TIRA was still under construction.

History of the Institute

1955 (22.03.) Articles of the Gesellschaft zur Förderung der astrophysikalischen Forschung e. V. (Association for the Promotion of Astrophysical Research)
1955 (09.12.) First entry in the Register of Associations under this name, founded as the holding company for the Institute for Radio Astronomy
1957
After the establishment of the Bundeswehr (German federal armed forces) in 1956, the association begins research work in the interests of national defense. The newly founded Research Institute for High Frequency Physics is merged with the Gesellschaft zur Förderung der astrophysikalischen Forschung e. V. The facilities are initially located in the premises of Telefunken in Bonn, but are later relocated to the former Hotel BELLEVUE in Rolandseck.
1963 Two research groups from the "Hahn-Meitner-Institut" (HMI) and the "Heinrich-Hertz-Institut" (HHI) join the Gesellschaft zur Förderung der astrophysikalischen Forschung e. V. and are transformed into to the Research Institute for Radio and Mathematics (FFM).

The Research Institute for High Frequency Physics (FHP) is relocated to the federal property in Wachtberg-Werthhoven.

1965 The Institute for Radio Astronomy separates from the association.
1966 Construction begins on the circular FHP building to accommodate the large radar installation.
1967 The Research Group for Anthropotechnology and Flight Measurement Techniques, active since 1965 at the TU Berlin, is incorporated into FFM.
1969 The Research Group for Anthropotechnology and Flight Measurement Techniques separates from FFM and the Research Institute for Anthropotechnology (FAT) is established.
1970 First experiments with the large radar installation are conducted.
1971 A resolution of the German Bundestag recognizes FHP and FFM as being comparable with large research institutions. The administrative activities of the company and its institutes are grouped together within Central Services (ZD).
The research group that had worked at the University of Karlsruhe at the Institute for Messaging Processing since 1964 is affiliated with FFM as an independent Research Group for Information Processing and Pattern Recognition.
1973 The working group of the Astronomy Institute at the University of Tübingen, which had pursued basic research and applied research in the field of optics since 1959, is taken over as the Research Institute for Optics (FfO).  FfO is accommodated in Schloss Kressbach in Tübingen.
1974 The Research Group for Information Processing and Pattern Recognition leaves FFM, becomes independent and is re-named the Research Institute for Information Processing and Pattern Recognition (FIM).  FIM acquires premises in Ettlingen, near Karlsruhe.
1975 The Eloka working group separates from the FHP and is re-named the Institute for Telecommunications and Electronics (IFE).
1975 (08.09) The Gesellschaft zur Förderung der astrophysikalischen Forschung e.V. is re-named Research Establishment for Applied Sciences (FGAN).
1978 Both the Research Institute for Radio and Mathematics (FFM) and the Research Institute for Anthropotechnology (FAT) are accommodated in a new building on the Wachtberg-Werthhoven site.
1994 FGAN creates the new structural concept “FGAN 2000” which is implemented in the following years. It essentially involves the reduction of the number of institutes from six to three: radar, optronics and command & control systems and communication.
1996 The Research Institute for Anthropotechnology (FAT) is wound up and integrated into the Research Institute for Radio and Mathematics (FFM) as an important first phase of FGAN 2000.
1997 The former Rhineland barracks in Ettlingen are chosen as the home of the future "Optronics Institute".
1999 The Institute for Telecommunications and Electronics (IFE)  is integrated into the Research Institute for Radio and Mathematics (FFM). The Electronics Department of FFM is transferred to FHP.
The institutes FfO and FIM are grouped together organizationally but located on separate sites.
1999 (01.04.) The reorganization of the structure of the institutes under FGAN is completed. The three institutes are designated as the Research Institute for High Frequency Physics and Radar Techniques (FHR), the Research Institute for Communication, Information Processing and Ergonomics (FKIE) and the Research Institute for Optronics and Pattern Recognition (FOM). All administrative activities are carried out by FGAN Central Services.
2000 FOM'S relocation to the (former) Rhineland barracks in Ettlingen is now complete.
2003 Prof. Dr.-Ing. Joachim Ender is appointed Director of the Institute.
2007
FGAN celebrates “50 Years of Research for Defense and Security”.
2009 (17.08.)
On August 17, the Research Institute for Applied Natural Sciences (FGAN) is integrated into the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft. As a result the three FGAN institutes become Fraunhofer institutes.
2011
(15.12.)
Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender is appointed university professor at the University of Siegen where he holds the chair for high frequency sensors and radar techniques.
2014 Replacement of the radome of the space observation radar TIRA.
2016 New institute management: Dr. Peter Knott and Prof. Dirk Heberling to jointly head up Fraunhofer FHR